Monday, May 9, 2011

Tardy

So, I have been tardy in posting recently.  But I have a good excuse, and my dog did not eat my homework (although I've been victim of this once in my adult life!).  The truth is, I have spend the last 12 months working toward my National Board Certification and my final assessment is just weeks away.  Through this process I have become a more thoughtful and insightful teacher.  I cannot say I learned anything "new", which I heartily expected after experiencing 2 masters degrees.  More importantly, I took what I learned in my schooling, professional development, and experience, then analyzed my current teaching.

So, forgive me when I take it personally when teachers are the dumping ground for lack of education in our country.  I, and many of my National Board Candidate peers, take our profession seriously.  We carry a massive weight knowing we hold the future in our hands, and as inner-city teachers, we frequently find ourselves being parents of values also.  This month alone 2 of my students' parents attempted to dump their financial and emotional woes on me about being a parent.

I am working with hard-working and dedicated teachers.  Some of our students have dedicated parents working against all odds.  But the sad reality is, we often work with parents who have left us with the role to parent their children in values of consistency, hard work, empathy, and self-respect. 

Today I learned my district is toying with the idea of increasing the school day.  Of course, more time in the day means more instruction (yah!).  Yet, many of these students are at our school 2+ hours after dismissal as it is.  What can the school offer in those hours that is not being offered in the home?

No comments:

Post a Comment