Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Interrupters

I shook hands with a murderer tonight.  That was just an after-thought  after I had a powerful conversation with Eddie Bocanegra from The Interrupters.  The Interrupters is a year-long documentary about violence-interrupters in Chicago.  The movie was inspired by a 2008 New York Times Magazine article by Alex Kotlowitz, confronting Chicago's violence.  

The Interrupters is a group of ex gang members and felons, including Eddie Bocanegra.  As 1 member says in the movie, "We have at least 500 years of prison time in this room."  Fortunately for these men, they have turned their lives around.  Fortunately for those they touch, they are changing the lives of others.

I cannot put into words all the messages which play in this documentary other than the reality of inner-city lives.  At one point I found myself tired of the "drama" and wanted to walk out, until I remembered these are my students' lives and they don't have the choice to walk out.

Ultimately, it is my hope that so many will see this movie they will face the reality of what our nation's children are facing and that failing schools are more than just failing teachers.  In these communities violence is trigged by the smallest form of disrespect.  The Interrupters exploits a gun situation over $5.  But it is more about violence.  It is about the need to belong, to stand up for your territory, to belong to something, anything, and to protect what little you have, including your pride.

On my way to my car I had a rare opportunity.  I looked up to see a familiar face walking toward me.  I wondered if this man in a purple shirt and handsome black suit could really be Eddie from The Interrupters.  After a 2nd look I knew this friendly face was the man who spends each day of his life "doing good" to make up for the many wrongs he did in his past.  I approached him as though I knew him, "Eddie!".  I quickly explained I was an inner-city teacher and just had the pleasure of seeing his movie.  I profusely thanked him for going on out on the streets each day and, as I touched my fist to my heart, explained what strength it took.  His response was, "No, thank YOU.  You teachers are the ones with 25+ kids in the classroom each day.  You are the ones dealing with this every day." 

As the saying goes, there is power in numbers, and I hope to have The Interrupters on my team.  It is also my hope many more people take a few hours out of their day to see the reality of what OUR children live with each day of their lives.

To read a full review, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment