Monday, February 21, 2011

Times Are-A-Changin!

We have a conundrum, we need to cut the budget, but do so at the risk of slashing the throat of education. 20 years ago (and more) having large classrooms of 40 students was manageable. But that was a time when students had a responsibility to behave and listen to their teachers. A call home put the fear in a child. At the risk of sounding old, "times have changed". We live in a society where (some) parents have a disregard for education. A teacher calling home results in a challenge from the parent. I have had parents threaten my verbally and physically, one in front of my class of 25 1st graders. The parent did not like how I handed her child her paper. The following year a 6th grader touched me inappropriately and his mother did her best to hide him from the school administration and police so he was not pressed charges. Don't even get me started on report card pickup meetings. Those of you in inner-city environments know exactly what I'm talking about and are probably chuckling. What society have we created?! These are harsh stories, but they are reality and teachers endure these experiences daily.

In summary, teachers decades ago had their challenges, so I speak only of my experiences. I recall sitting quietly in classes of 30 listening to the teacher lecture. Today's children in many classes have not learned manners such as attentive listening. When a teacher spends his/her time on classroom management and teaching basic social skills, academics is placed on a back burner. So firing teachers and creating larger class sizes is not the solution. As Jon Gordon said, "Education is the best investment." Politicians, meet Jon Gordon.

No comments:

Post a Comment