Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Having A Voice For Those Who Don't

Today's post is in response to a heartwrenching, yet inspiring story about new unit through the Anticruelty Society (ASPCA). "Saving man's best friend from dog's worst enemy" is an article about dogs and other animals forced into blood-sports. But this topic holds near to my job. I think I have a soft spot for animals, especially those in need, just as I do the demographic of students I teach. Both need someone to give them a voice, to stand up for them.

Each year Best Friends Animal Society visits my school with a host of trained dogs. They talk to my students about how to properly care for animals and identify animal cruelty and neglect. To think that they actually have to show students a padlock and explain that it is too heavy and cruel to put on a dog's collar is shocking. More so, on average each year when my class is asked, "How many of you have seen a dog fight (or any animal)?" at least 10-12 hands go up. My students witness violence amongst people, drugs, drunkenness, and animal fighting. They do not know it is wrong, or if they do they do not know what to do.

As a teacher I am fighting for the rights of my students to be given an education by a caring, devoted teacher each day. I appreciate these officers and ASPCA for also fighting to give a voice to those who also don't have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment